Potluck Polynesian Chicken
- Yield: 8 servings
"When I made this dish for our apartment community luncheon, a man declared that he wanted to marry the person who made it. That man is now my husband of more than four years!"
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4pounds chicken pieces
- 1cup peanut oil
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 1/2cup sugar
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2cup cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4teaspoon ground ginger
- 1medium green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- Cooked rice, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Pour buttermilk into a shallow bowl. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken in buttermilk and dredge in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned; transfer to baking pan.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough water to equal 11/2 cups liquid.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Add pineapple liquid, vinegar, soy sauce and ginger. Stir until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add pineapple and green pepper strips. Bake 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center. Serve over rice, if using.
Recipe by Bette Wolford, Fort Morgan, Colo.