Potato Vegetable Curry (Kootou Curry)
- Yield: 6 servings
Despite that yellow bottle of curry powder found everywhere, curry isn’t a set blend of spices but a multitude of variations, some guarded as a family secret for generations. You’ll make your own curry powder—and maybe start your own family secret! But if you want to avoid mixing all those spices, just substitute 2 tablespoons mild yellow curry powder doctored with 1/4 teaspoon cayenne.
- 1/2cup plus 6 tablespoons unsweetened coconut (see note)
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne
- 1pound plus 2 ounces red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 2 1.4cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/4cups peeled, diced eggplant
- 1 1/2cups chopped green beans
- 3/4cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- Place 1/2 cup coconut, ginger, coriander, cumin, salt, dry mustard, cinnamon, pepper, and cayenne in a spice grinder or a mini food processor; grind or process until about the consistency of coarse sand.
- Stir the potatoes and broth with the spice mixture in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer slowly for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, green beans, and chickpeas. Cover and continue simmering slowly until the vegetables are quite tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the remaining 6 tablespoons coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in the same skillet now set over medium-low heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, soft, and very sweet, about 12 minutes.
- Stir the lemon juice into the stew. Serve the stew in bowls, topped with the toasted coconut and frizzled shallots.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 245
- Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 33g
- Sodium 500mg
- Potassium 721mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 6g