Potato Tomato Soup
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 25 mins
A hearty potato soup with an Italian flair.
Add a small swirl of basil pesto and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to each bowl for added Italian flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- Garlic salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups lightly packed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to lightly brown. Stir in celery, potatoes, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then purée in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour back into saucepan and stir in basil, garlic salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Check seasonings, then add spinach and cook a minute or 2 more to wilt spinach.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board