Potato Latkes with Marinated Beet and Apple Salad
- Yield: 2 servings
- 22-24ounces Russet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 8ounces precooked beets
- 2tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 Gala apple
- 1bunch chives
- 1tablespoon flour
- 2ounces sour cream
- 1ounce walnuts
- 3tablespoons oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Halve the beets, then slice into wedges. Halve, peel, and thinly slice half the onion. Thinly slice the chives. Peel the potatoes. Working over a large kitchen towel, shred the potatoes using a box grater (or food processor, if you have one.) Grate the remaining onion with the box grater into the pile with the shredded potatoes.
2. Season the potato-onion mixture with salt and pepper. Bring in the corners of the kitchen towel and, working over the sink, squeeze the mixture firmly to remove excess liquid. Repeat a few times until nearly dry. Transfer the potato-onion mixture to a bowl and toss with the flour.
3. Marinate the beet salad: toss the beets in a medium bowl with the sliced onion, walnuts, sherry vinegar, half the chives, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Make the latkes: heat ½-inch oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. You’ll know the oil is hot enough when it moves fluidly in the pan and shimmers slightly. Place a baking sheet lined with paper towels to the side of the stove. Form the potato mixture into 2-inch patties and place carefully into the oil. You’ll need to work in batches so you don’t crowd the pan.
5. Cook the latkes 3-4 minutes per side, lowering heat if necessary, until deeply golden brown. Set finished latkes aside on the paper towels to drain, then remove the paper towel and transfer to the oven to keep warm until the rest of the latkes are ready. Season the latkes with salt and pepper before serving.
6. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apple. Toss ¾ the apple slices into the marinated beet salad.
7. Plate the latkes and marinated beet salad. Top each latke with a slice of apple, a dollop of crème fraiche, and a sprinkle of chives.
This recipe was republished with permission from HelloFresh. It originally appeared as Potato Latkes & Marinated Beet Salad with Sour Cream, Chives and Apples.