- Yield 2
Golden fried potato cakes—a simple thing to celebrate.
These pancakes are best made immediately before serving.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 onions, shredded, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine potatoes, onion, flour, eggs, thyme, salt and pepper; mix well. Place in a colander and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Pour half the vegetable oil and half the olive oil into a large nonstick skillet; heat until hot but not smoking. Spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3-inch rounds with a fork. Cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with additional salt. Repeat with remaining potato mixture and oil. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Marge Perry and David Bonom.