Potato Latkes Lightened Up
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 12 to 16
- 2 1/2 cups shredded, unpeeled russet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1/3 cup peeled shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Scrub potatoes and coarsely grate. Immediately place in a bowl of ice water to keep potatoes from discoloring; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the onion, carrot, flour, chives, salt, pepper and eggs in a medium bowl and stir well. Drain the potatoes and squeeze out moisture; stir into egg mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Spoon about 1/4 cup of potato mixture for each pancake into skillet, cooking 4 at a time. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, flattening with the back of a spatula and cooking until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining oil and potatoes. Serve immediately with chunky applesauce and low-fat sour cream.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board