Potato Herb Gratin
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 6cloves thick garlic, chopped
- 2cups thinly sliced onions
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- -- Olive oil for brushing
- 2pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1teaspoon salt
- 3/4teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6slices thick Swiss cheese
- 6ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 2ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
- -- Dash of chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute for 8 minutes. Add the thyme and rosemary. Saute for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Brush a baking dish with olive oil. Arrange half of the potatoes in an overlapping pattern in the dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Top with half of the onion mixture, four slices of Swiss cheese and 3 ounces of the Parmesan cheese. Continue layering with the remaining potatoes. Pour the milk over them. Continue layering with the remaining onion mixture, salt, pepper, Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 35 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer or until tender and golden brown. Turn off the oven. Top with 2 ounces Parmesan cheese. Leave in the oven for 3 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Greater Fort Lauderdale, Inc., Paradise Servied, South Florida's Culinary Destination (Junior League of Greater Fort Lauderdale, Inc., 2009)