- 1/2cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup firmly packed brown sugar, light or dark
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1large egg
- 1cup rolled oats, traditional or quick
- 1cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 2/3cups gently crushed potato chips
- -- Additional salt for sprinkling on top, optional
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
Beat together the shortening, sugars, salt, baking powder, and vanilla.
Beat in the egg, then stir in the oats and flour, mixing till cohesive. The dough will be stiff.
Gently stir in the potato chips.
Drop the dough in chestnut-sized pieces (about 1 level tablespoon) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2-inch space around each cookie.
Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, until they're barely beginning to brown. This will yield a cookie that's crunchy on the outside, and softer within. For a cookie that's crunchy/hard all the way through, bake for 14 to 15 minutes, till light golden brown.
Remove the cookies from the oven, and cool right on the pan.