Potato Cheese Soup with Ham
- Yield 11 cups
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 40 mins
Ham, cheese, potato -- like a loaded baked potato in a soup bowl.
This soup is super versatile -- use any kind of cheese, or use dry white wine instead of beer. Any kind of milk will work, too.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces lean ham, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 8 cups peeled and coarsely chopped potatoes (russets or Yukon golds, about 3 pounds)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 cup beer
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add ham, onion and carrot. Sauté 5 to 10 minutes. Cook, covered, 10 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Pour half the soup into a food processor and process until smooth. Return to saucepan. Add beer and cheese and cook until cheese melts. Add milk until desired consistency is reached.