Potato Cheese Soup with Bacon
- Yield 4 servings
Bacon adds lots of flavor and texture to this yummy soup.
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 3 or 4 -- potatoes, baked
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, crumbled
- 3 -- green onions, chopped
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat bacon dripping in a large stockpot. Add onion. Saute until tender. Reduce the heat to medium. Add flour gradually, stirring constantly until golden brown. Stir in chicken broth and half-and-half.
- Scoop pulp from potatoes, discarding skins. Add potato pulp to soup and mix well. Cook until soup is bubbly and slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Reduce to a simmer. Add most of the cheese, bacon and green onons, reserving the remainder for a garnish. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with reserved cheese, bacon and green onions.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Morgan County’s Beyond Cotton Country (The Junior League of Morgan County, Decatur, Ala., 1999).