- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Beignets are fried discs of sweetened potato dough. Serve with a dollop of yogurt for a simple yet delicious snack.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- 1 cup Idaho Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cooked, riced
- 1 -- egg
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Heat sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan until butter melts, then remove from heat and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, combine yeast and water and rest for 5 minutes to reactivate yeast.
- Add yeast mixture to butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Beat potato puree and egg in bowl of a standing mixer with a paddle attachment until just combined, then add butter mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add flour and beat until combined, then remove to a bowl and ferment in a warm, dry place until doubled in size.
- Roll dough into a 1/2-inch thick sheet, then cut it into 1 1/2-inch squares. Fry in 350F oil, flipping once, until light golden brown on both sides.
- Spoon a dollop of yogurt into center of plate and top with beignet and serve.