Potato and Zucchini Frittata
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1small russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4large eggs
- 2-- egg whites
- 2tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon hot sauce
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 1small zucchini (about 6 ounces), grated and squeezed dry in clean kitchen towel
- 1/2cup queso fresco (2 ounces)
- 2strip cooked crumbled turkey bacon, optional
- Preheat the oven broiler to medium-high.
- Heat the oil in a medium (10-inch) ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook until tender, about 6 minutes more. Add the cooked potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown slightly, about 4 minutes more. Evenly pour the egg mixture over the vegetable mixture. Cook, over medium heat, tilting the pan and lifting the edges with a rubber spatula to let the uncooked egg flow underneath. Sprinkle with the cheese and the bacon, if using.
- Broil, 5 to 7 inches from the heat, until the eggs puff and are just set and the cheese is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove carefully to a plate, or serve in wedges directly from the skillet.