Potato and Yam Augratin
- Yield 12 to 15 servings
Nice variety and pretty too.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- dash nutmeg (fresh best)
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1 pound yams (same as sweet potatoes)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives
- 1/2 to 1 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 9×13 baing dish. In a bowl, mix cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Peel potatoes and yams, slice very thin (processor does well).
- Place potatoes in ice water to avoid discoloring. Dry potatoes.
- To assemble: Layer potatoes (overlap), layer yams (overlap), drizzle cream mixture, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, repeat. Top with cheese.
- Cover with foil. Cook 35 minutes then remove foil and cook 35 to 40 minutes more.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Fabulous Five Inc.’s Always Enough Thyme (Fabulous Five, Inc., 2001).