Potato and Rutabaga Mash
- Yield 8 servings
Root vegetables, such as rutabaga, turnips and celery root, pair well with mashed potatoes.
- 1 medium rutabaga, turnip or celery root (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine rutabaga and water to cover; bring to a boil and cook 8 minutes. Add potatoes and cook about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat milk, butter, salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Add potatoes and rutabaga and mash with a potato masher. Add cheese and stir well. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board