Potato and Onion Gratin
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/3cup olive oil
- 2large onions, cut into halves and thinly sliced
- 1teaspoon chopped thyme or rosemary leaves
- 2pounds waxy potatoes (such as Yukon Golds), thinly sliced
- 1teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a shallow 6-cup baking dish.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in thyme.
- Arrange one-third of the potatoes in prepared pan. Top with one-third of the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat layers twice, ending with onions. Pour broth over top. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour. Remove foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Monday Morning Cooking Club’s The Feast Goes On (Harper Collins, 2014).