Pot Pie with Cheesy Polenta
- Yield servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 potato, diced
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 5 tablespoons wholemeal spelt flour or wholemeal plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup natural yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 1/2 ounces asparagus, chopped
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2/3 cup defrosted,frozen peas or fresh, podded peas
- 2/3 cup fast-cook polenta
- 2 1/2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and grease a 25cm/10in pie dish with oil. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the potato and shallots and sprinkle the flour over the top. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until the flour has lightly browned. Pour in the stock, then add the yogurt, garlic, parsley, sage, thyme and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the asparagus, carrots and peas to the saucepan and mix well. Pour the vegetable mix into the pie dish and level the surface with the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan, bring 435ml/1514fl oz/13 4 cups water to the boil over a high heat. Pour the polenta in a stream, whisking continuously with a whisk until smooth. Turn the heat down to low and simmer, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes until the polenta is thick and rubbery but loose enough to spread. Remove from the heat and mix in the Cheddar and salt until well combined.
- Spread the cheesy polenta on top of the vegetables in the pie dish and smooth the surface with a spatula. Cut a few small air holes through the polenta, using a sharp knife, and bake for 30–35 minutes until bubbling and golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and leave to set for 10 minutes. Serve hot with salad.
CARROT & PEA PURÉE
Put 2 1⁄2 tablespoons of the carrots in a steamer and steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Add 2 1⁄2 tablespoons of the peas and steam, covered, for a further 10 minutes until completely soft. Transfer to a blender and add 3 tablespoons water. Blend for 30 seconds, adding extra water 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth. Serve warm.
Reprinted with permission from Me, You & the Kids, Too by Renee Elliott, Duncan Baird Publishing
POLENTA WITH VEGETABLES & YOGURT
Put 1 tablespoon of the carrots in a steamer and steam, covered, for 10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon each of the asparagus, shallots and peas and steam for a further 10 minutes until completely soft. Transfer to a blender and add 2 tablespoons water. Pulse for 15 seconds, adding extra water 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture forms a lumpy purée. Mix in 2 tablespoons of the yogurt and serve warm with 2 tablespoons of the cooked polenta (without the cheese or salt).