- Yield 2 servings
Serve this unusual mushroom piccata over angel hair pasta.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning or fines herbes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 medium portobello mushrooms, stems removed (caps should be 4 to 5 inches in diameter)
- Flour, for dredging
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, Parmesan, herbs, parsley and pepper; set aside. Dredge mushrooms in flour and then dip into the herb mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes on one side or until golden. Turn mushrooms over and cook another 2 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with lemon juice and place on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms are heated through and tender. Brush with butter, if using, and garnish with capers.