Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Yield 2 servings
Grilled mushroom, roasted red pepper, fresh mozzarella and tarragon spread on a whole wheat bun will satisfy burger cravings without expanding waistlines.
- 2 -- portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing on the portobellos
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -- whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons fat free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 -- red bell pepper, roasted and sliced into strips
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat or place a grill pan over medium high heat on the stove.
- Clean the tops of the portobello mushrooms by rubbing them with a wet paper towel. Scrape the “gills” out of the underside with a spoon. Brush both sides with olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and place on the grill or grill pan. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes, flip and grill the other side for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Grill the buns cut side down for about 30 seconds. Return grilled buns to a serving platter and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and chopped tarragon together. Spread lightly on the grilled hamburger bun tops.
- On the bun bottom, add a slice of mozzarella. Top with the mushroom caps, then half of the roasted red pepper strips and complete with the tarragon spread bun top.