Pork Dumplings with Walnut Sauce
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Serve these delectable appetizers with savory walnut sauce to add a modern twist to this classic combination of Chinese flavors.
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped chive bud
- 1/4 cup toasted and chopped California walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon galangal powder or ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 25 - 30 -- dumpling wrappers
- Walnut Sauce
- 1/2 cup toasted and puréed California walnuts
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cooking sake
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- Toasting Walnuts: In large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast walnuts, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Dumplings: In a large bowl combine pork, cilantro, chive bud, chopped walnuts, garlic, galangal, white pepper and salt. Take one dumpling wrapper and wet the outer rim lightly with water. With the dumpling skin flat on one hand, place 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the pork mixture in the centre. Fold the wrapper edge up into a taco shape and pinch together while creating pleats on one side of the dumpling. Repeat for remaining filling and wrappers.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the dumplings (2 to 3 batches at a time), then immediately stir them so they don’t stick together. Cook until done (5 to 7 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a clean tray – do not overlap as dumplings will stick.
Walnut Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the puréed walnuts, water, rice vinegar, cooking sake and tamari. Serve with dumplings.
Crispy Dumplings: In a large non-stick pan, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil and as many dumplings as you can fit in a single layer with spaces between each. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold water to the pan, cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Cook until all the water has evaporated and the bottoms are crispy and golden.
Tip: Substitute pork with ground beef or chicken, if desired.