Pork and Bean Bread
- Yield 24 servings
This surprising bread is a variation of a traditional cinnamon raisin bread
"Over 10 years ago a friend of mine gave me this bread and the recipe. She told me not to tell anyone that the main ingredient was pork and beans. In all these years no one has ever guessed it."
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (15-ounce) can pork and beans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Add raisins to boiling water and set aside.
- Mash beans with a fork in a large bowl until very smooth. Add sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients and fold in. Drain raisins and fold in with chopped nuts.
- Spoon batter into three greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake in a 325F oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Rose Blanco, Escalon, Calif.