Poppy Seed Bread
- Yield: 20 to 24 servings
"This recipe came from a dear aunt years ago. It's so well received in my family, a brother-in-law doesn't think his holidays are complete until he has his own loaf!"
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4cups sugar
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 1 1/2teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 2teaspoons butter or margarine
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/4cup orange juice
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans or four 4 x 2-inch mini loaf pans.
- To prepare the bread, combine the oil and the eggs in a large bowl and whisk until well blended and fluffy. Add the sugar; mix well. Stir in the remaining bread ingredients until just blended. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake the large loaves for 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake the small loaves for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the glaze, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Remove the bread from the oven and immediately poke holes in the top with a wooden pick or fork. Pour the glaze evenly over each loaf. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe by Marsha Baker, Pioneer, Ohio