- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 35 mins
They're called "popovers" because the light batter powers upward and over the rim of the baking cup as it bakes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a 6-cup muffin or popover tin.
- Mix flour and salt together in a medium mixing bowl. Combine eggs and milk; blend well. Add to flour mixture and stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Divide batter among prepared popover cups. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake 20 minutes. Do not open oven door during baking process. Serve immediately
VARIATIONS: Parmesan—Add ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese to batter. Herb—Add 1 tablespoon fresh minced basil, chives or parsley to batter. Green Onion—Add ½ cup minced green onion to batter.
Tips for Perfect Popovers:
- Make sure oven is thoroughly preheated.
- Grease the muffin or popover pan liberally.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Don’t overbeat the eggs.
- Fill muffin or popover cups only about halfway. If they’re too full, popovers won’t rise properly.
- Don’t open the oven door during baking.
- Invest in a popover pan. They’re deeper than muffin pans, allowing the popovers to crawl up the sides and rise higher.