Popcorn Walnut Delight
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 45 mins
This American favorite is easy to make at home using walnuts and a light caramel.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 4 cups popped corn
- 3/4 cup walnut haves or pieces or a mixture
- Preheat an oven to 250F.
- Combine the butter, oil, sugar, vinegar, and baking soda in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring just until the butter has melted, approximately 3 minutes. If it starts to bubble, remove from heat to complete stirring.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Put the popped corn and the walnuts on and mix them. Drizzle the butter-sugar sauce all over and toss and turn well.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and using a wooden spoon or spatula, turn several times. Return to the oven, and repeat the turning process two more times at 15 minute intervals. After one hour, remove the corn and turn several times. Let stand at room temperature to cool. When cool, store in plastic bags or containers and store in a cool dry place. It will stay fresh for up to 10 days.
Source: Joy of Cooking: 75th Anniversary edition, copyright 2006