Poor Man’s Caviar
- Yield 12 servings
A popular salsa-style dip you can whip up without any effort. The longer it sits, the better it gets, so make ahead of time.
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onions
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup frozen or canned corn
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapenos (found in jar)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Cover and marinate at room temperature 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate after serving. Makes 3 cups.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.