Nutty Chicken “Pom-Orange”
- Yield servings
- 4 -- 5 6 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cardammon or cinnamin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- -- sea salt, whole and ground to taste
- -- black peppercorns, whole & ground to taste
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 -- orange, preferably blood
- 3 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Walnuts
- 2 -- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Pom liquor
- -- cornstarch (flour or Wondra)for thickening
- 1 cup olive oil to saute & for rice
- 1 box Near East Long Grain Wild rice or Cous Cous
- can or box of Chicken Stock
- large Bunch of Baby asparagus
- 1 large pomegranate, if avail
- 1/4 pound butter
Heat oven to 300
Marinate pounded chicken breasts for 1/2 hour in 1 cup Pomegranate juice and 1/2 cup of water. Add cardammon or cinnamin, ginger, 6-8 black peppercorns and 1 tsp whole kosher salt along with 4-6 orange slices to marinade mix.
Mix Panko and 1 cup of walnuts together with ground sea salt and ground pepper to taste. Beat two eggs with 2 tbsp of water and dip marinated chicken in egg mixture then dip in Panko mixture. In 16" saute pan, saute chicken in 2-4 tbsp of olive oil, depending on size of chicken and number of breasts in pan. Leave room for turning. Cook until a nice color on the breasts is obtained then transfer to a roasting pan.
Finish chicken in the oven using a roasting pan with insert to keep chicken raised. Chicken should be finished in 15-20 minutes. Check with meat thermometer.
Deglaze saute pan with 1/2 cup orange juice and slowly mix in Pom liquor as orange juice cooks down. Slowly stir in cornstarch and water mixture to thicken and add additional pomegranate juice to thin if necessary. Up to a half 1/2 tsp of cinnamin and ginger can be used to flavor. Salt and pepper to taste. Fresh pomegranate avrils can be added at the last moment.
While chicken is sauteing, toast balance of walnuts in oven on baking sheet and make rice or cous cous per instructions, substituting 1/2 stock for water. Mix finished starch with toasted walnuts.
Prepare asparagus for blanching. Blanch in boiling water and cut upper portion of asparagus.
Plate selected starch with apsargus and balance of fresh pomegranate avrils. Layer chicken on top of starch and sauce lightly, sprinke with pomegrante avrils.