Pomegranate Port Wine Sauce
- Yield 12 (3-tablespoon) servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Pomegranate sauce for Thanksgiving turkey adds bright flavor.
This sweet, fruity sauce is a nice change from traditional gravy. Use a fat separator (available at most housewares stores) to make short work of turning turkey pan juices into an elegant sauce. If you don't have enough drippings, add chicken broth to compensate.
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2 cups port (sweet wine)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup defatted turkey drippings or lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Combine pomegranate juice, port, vinegar and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 2 cups.
- Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon turkey drippings; stir and add to remaining drippings. Combine with pomegranate mixture and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Remove from heat; add butter 1 tablespoon at a time and stir until smooth. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Recipe by Marge Perry.