- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2cups diced white onions (about 2 medium)
- 2cups diced red onions (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2cups chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced or pressed
- 1teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 3tablespoons tamarind paste or prune butter
- 1cup pomegranate juice
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 2 (3-pound) chicken, cut up and skin removed
- Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate for garnish
- Combine onions, 1 cup of cilantro, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a Dutch oven. Stir in tamarind paste, pomegranate juice, tomato paste and salt. Add chicken and ladle sauce over top.
- Cook, covered, over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and sauce to a serving paltter. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup cilantro and pomegrante seeds. Serve hot.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy’s The Kosher Palette II(Livingston, New Jersey, 2006).