Pomegranate Apple Crisp
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Pomegranate Apple Filling:
- 1/4cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 Granny Smith or Fuji apples, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- Oat Topping:
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons soft unsalted butter
- 1/2cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1large egg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4cup water
- 1 1/2cups rolled organic oats
- To prepare filling: Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in apples and lemon juice, tossing until apples are evenly coated.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Pour into a lightly greased 8 x 8-inch baking dish or pie tin. Sprinkle arils on top.
- To prepare the topping: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another medium mixing bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Add in 1/4 cup water and whisk well, until fluffy and the color lightens.
- Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture until no flour is visible, then stir in oats until just incorporated.
- Using a large spoon, drop the oat crumble mix onto the apple mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Recipe by Chef Candice Kumai / POM Wonderful.