Polynesian Flank Steak
- Yield 6 servings
This marinade can also be used for chicken.
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 2 1/2 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 cups cooked rice
- Combine pineapple juice, 1/4 cup soy sauce, garlic powder, ginger and Italian dressing in a 3-quart oblong baking dish, mixing well. Add flank steak and turn to coat all sides. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours, if possible or overnight, turning the steak occasionally.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Gill steak over a hot fire approximately 7 minutes on each side, or place in a pan and broil for about 5 minutes on each side for rare steak.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute red pepper, green pepper and mushrooms until tender. Add water chestnuts, rice and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tossing well. To serve, slice the flank steak diagonally against the grain and place over rice.
For more information on why meat needs to rest after cooking, watch this video for tips from the “Butcher Boys” of Porter Road Butcher in Nashville, TN