Pollo en Mole Verde
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3whole chicken breasts, split
- 1medium carrot, sliced
- 1medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1clove garlic
- 1teaspoon salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 3/4cup pumpkin seeds, ground
- 8 tomatillos, cut into quarters
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 1medium yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 1clove garlic
- 3sprigs cilantro
- 3sprigs epazote
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken, carrot, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 teaspoon salt and peppercorns with enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Remove from the heat and let stand until cool, reserving the solids and broth.
- Combine 1 cup of the reserved broth, the pumpkin seeds, tomatillos, serrano chiles, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, cilantro and epazote in a blender and process until pureed.
- Simmer the puree in the oil in a saucepan for 10 minutes, stirring freuqently.
- Stir in 2 more cups of the reserved broth and simmer for 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces, discarding the skin and bones. Add the chicken and remaining reserved solids to the sauce mixture and simmer until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with tortillas.
- Leftovers may be served as burritos.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005)