- Yield 8 servings
"I don't spend a lot of time in my kitchen on Christmas Day or New Year's Day, so I fix a pot of this goulash with some kind of hot bread. This is a recipe from my grandmother."
- 1 large head cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds total), coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 (14-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Bring 10 cups water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add the cabbage, return to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the cabbage in a colander; shake off excess liquid.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground chuck and cook until browned, stirring frequently. Drain on paper towels, if desired.
- Return the cabbage to the Dutch oven. Add the beef, onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover tightly, and simmer 11/2 hours, or until flavors blend.
—Trudie Muncy, Wheatland, Mo.