- Yield 4 servings
Juicy tomatoes, creamy cheese and tangy black olives combine in this stellar Italian salad serve on top of polenta.
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup polenta
- 1 cup California Black Ripe Olives, wedged
- 1 1/2 cups (8-ounces) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (4-ounce) cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced 1/2-inch
- 1/2 (1/2-ounce) cup basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Whisk in polenta, turn heat down to a low simmer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and mix in 1/2 cup of olives. Pour onto a lightly greased baking sheet and form into a 7 x 8-inch rectangle. Top with a piece of plastic wrap and set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- While polenta is setting, combine tomatoes, mozzarella, basil leaves and remaining olives in a large mixing bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove plastic wrap and cut polenta into 4 rectangles. Heat remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan or non-stick griddle over medium-high heat. Place polenta slices in pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden. Place cooked polenta onto serving plates and top with salad mixture.