Poblano Chiles with Quinoa and Black Beans
- Yield: 4 servings
Serve with sour cream or plain yogurt.
- 1cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 1/2cups water
- 1 (28-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon oregano
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels cut from cob, of 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- 4 poblano chile peppers, cut into halves lengthwise
- 1cup shredded Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack and Cheddar mix
- 1/4cup pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until water is gone and quinoa is tender. Set aside.
- Spread half of the marinara sauce evenly over bottom of a 21/2-quart baking dish.
- Heat oil in a nonreactive large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, cumin, oregano and chili powder. Saute 1 minute until onions begin to soften. Add corn and saute 1 minute longer. Add black beans, cilantro and lime juice.
- Add reserved quinoa and combine well over low heat. Remove from heat and season with salt. Divide quinoa filling evenly among pepper halves and place in baking pan coated with marinara sauce. Top peppers with cheese and spoon remaining sauce around peppers.
- Cover pan loosely with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is lightly browned. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 692
- Fat 30
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 999mg
- Carbohydrate 87g
- Fiber 13g
- Protein 28g