Poblano Chile Polenta
- Yield 6 servings
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups instant palenta
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cut the poblano chiles into thick slices. Combine the poblano chile slices, water, heavy cream and cumin in a blender and process until smooth. Pour the chile mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the butter and salt. Add the polenta gradually stirring constantly. Cook for 3 minutes or until the polenta grains have softened, stirring frequently. Spoon the polenta mixture into a greased loaf pan. Chill, covered, until firm.
- Preheat a grill. Invert the polenta onto a hard surface and put into 1-inch slices. Grill the slices over hot coals for 2 minutes per side or until grill marks appear, turning once. Serve with the Mexican crema and cilantro.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix’s Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005)