Poached Plums with Spices and Ginger
- Yield 4 servings
Star anise, cloves and chopped ginger are cooked into a sweet syrup for poaching plums.
- 12 large plums (more if small)
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 whole star anise
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 lumps of preserved ginger in syrup
- 4 tablespoons syrup from the preserved ginger
- Wipe plums and remove stalks.
- Stir sugar and water together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, then add star anise, cloves, chopped ginger and ginger syrup. Add plums, reduce heat, and partially cover with a lid. Cook until plums are soft and melted, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm, three fruits per person, in little dishes or glasses, with some of the syrup spooned over.
Reprinted with permission from Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard by Nigel Slater, copyright © 2010, 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.