Poached Pineapple Sundaes with Cinnamon Wontons
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Pineapple tops ice cream with a side of crisp cinnamon wafers.
Pineapple slices are poached in a tea-infused syrup and served over frozen yogurt. Serve with crispy, thin cinnamon-flavored cookies.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 32 wonton wrappers
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ripe fresh pineapple
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 rose hips tea bags or 3 tablespoons dried rose hips
- 1 cup vanilla frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To prepare wontons, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Separate wonton wrappers and place on baking sheets, about 1/2 inch apart. Using a pastry brush, brush lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon-sugar. Bake 5 to 7 minutes, until crisp and golden. Be careful not to overbake. Cool on a wire rack. Keep tightly covered in an airtight container. Makes 32.
- To prepare sundaes, remove skin from pineapple, making sure to remove all the “eyes” (the little dark brown spots.) Cut pineapple, crosswise, into 8 thick rounds. Remove core with a small knife.
- Place pineapple in a large skillet. Add water and honey. Bring to a boil. Add tea bags or rose hips and lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until pineapple is just tender. Remove pineapple with a slotted spoon and place in a shallow casserole. Discard tea bags or strain liquid through a sieve to remove rose hips.
- Cook remaining liquid over high heat until reduced to 2 cups. Pour over pineapple. Cover and chill until very cold. Place frozen yogurt in glasses, top with pineapple, and drizzle with syrup. Serve with 2 wontons per serving. Serves 4.
Note: If you can’t find wonton wrappers, use flour tortillas, cut into 2-inch squares.
Recipe by Chef Rozanne Gold.
For a complete menu featuring Poached Pineapple Sundaes, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.