Poached Pineapple Sundaes with Cinnamon Wontons
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
Pineapple slices are poached in a tea-infused syrup and served over frozen yogurt. Serve with crispy, thin cinnamon-flavored cookies.
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 32 wonton wrappers
- 4tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ripe fresh pineapple
- 5cups water
- 1/2cup honey
- 4 rose hips tea bags or 3 tablespoons dried rose hips
- 1cup vanilla frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To prepare wontons, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Separate wonton wrappers and place on baking sheets, about 1/2 inch apart. Using a pastry brush, brush lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon-sugar. Bake 5 to 7 minutes, until crisp and golden. Be careful not to overbake. Cool on a wire rack. Keep tightly covered in an airtight container. Makes 32.
- To prepare sundaes, remove skin from pineapple, making sure to remove all the “eyes” (the little dark brown spots.) Cut pineapple, crosswise, into 8 thick rounds. Remove core with a small knife.
- Place pineapple in a large skillet. Add water and honey. Bring to a boil. Add tea bags or rose hips and lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until pineapple is just tender. Remove pineapple with a slotted spoon and place in a shallow casserole. Discard tea bags or strain liquid through a sieve to remove rose hips.
- Cook remaining liquid over high heat until reduced to 2 cups. Pour over pineapple. Cover and chill until very cold. Place frozen yogurt in glasses, top with pineapple, and drizzle with syrup. Serve with 2 wontons per serving. Serves 4.
Note: If you can’t find wonton wrappers, use flour tortillas, cut into 2-inch squares.
Recipe by Chef Rozanne Gold.
For a complete menu featuring Poached Pineapple Sundaes, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 340
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 140mg
- Carbohydrate 73g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 4g