- Yield 4 to 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Sweetly spiced pears and berries make a "fruitiful" breakfast.
This recipe is adapted with permission from Morning Food: Breakfasts, Brunches, & More for Savoring the Best Part of the Day by Margaret Fox and John Bear. Copyright © 2006 Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, Calif., www.tenspeed.com
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 -- cinnamon stick
- 6 -- whole cloves
- 3 -- whole allspice berries (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 -- pears, cored and peeled
- 1 cup blueberries
- Place all ingredients except the pears and blueberries into a large pot and simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes. Pour mixture through a sieve to remove whole spices; return liquid to pan. Slice each pear into 12 slices. Add pears and blueberries to pan, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until fruit is tender.
- When done, remove from heat, add blueberries and let cool. Refrigerate at least 8 hours before serving. Note: Use apples, peaches, apricots or plums in place of the pears if desired. To core the pears, peel them and slice in half vertically. Use a melon baller to scoop out the hard core. Then slice into 12 slices.
Recipe adapted with permission from Morning Food: Breakfasts, Brunches, & More for Savoring the Best Part of the Day by Margaret Fox and John Bear. (Ten Speed Press, 2006) http://www.tenspeed.com