Plentiful Pork Soup
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
This delicious, hearty pork and vegetable soup has a little of everything in it.
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (6-ounce) package long grain and wild rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) can white beans (such as navy), drained and rinsed
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, drained
- 1 (11-ounce) can white shoe peg corn, drained
- 2 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, add pork, onion and garlic and saute 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat, or until pork browns and onions are tender.
- Stir in cumin, rice, garbanzo beans, white beans, green chiles, corn, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, or until rice is done and pork is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in individual bowls and sprinkle with Monterey Jack, if desired.