Play Ball Rice Bites
- Yield: 6 servings
- For the dip:
- 2-- (4-ounce) cans mixed fruit in juice, half drained
- 1/4cup canned tomato paste
- 1/2teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- For the rice balls:
- 1-- (8.25-ounce) can mixed vegetables, no-salt added, drained
- 1large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-- garlic clove
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2cups cooked rice (white or brown), warm
- 1/2cup shredded cheese
- 1/4teaspoon salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3/4cup finely crushed crisp rice cereal
- To make the dip: Purée the mixed fruit, tomato paste and vinegar in a blender or food processor; set aside.
- To make the rice balls: Purée the mixed vegetables, egg, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a blender or food processor. Mix with rice, cheese, salt and pepper until completely combined.
- Preheat oven to 375F, or heat oil in a deep fryer to 375F.
- Scoop tablespoon-size balls of the rice mixture and gently form into balls, rolling them in the crushed rice cereal to coat.
- If baking: Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place balls on the sheet and spray with more oil. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes.
- If frying: Fry in the deep fryer in small batches until crisp and brown, about 1 minute per batch. Drain on paper towels.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 170
- Fat 4.5g
- Cholesterol 45mg
- Sodium 230mg
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 6g