Play Ball Rice Bites
- Yield 6 servings
These cheesy-crispy-crunchy rice balls are packed with nutrient-rich canned vegetables and dipped in a fruit sauce with a savory kick.
- For the dip:
- 2 -- (4-ounce) cans mixed fruit in juice, half drained
- 1/4 cup canned tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- For the rice balls:
- 1 -- (8.25-ounce) can mixed vegetables, no-salt added, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 -- garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (white or brown), warm
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup finely crushed crisp rice cereal
- To make the dip: Purée the mixed fruit, tomato paste and vinegar in a blender or food processor; set aside.
- To make the rice balls: Purée the mixed vegetables, egg, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a blender or food processor. Mix with rice, cheese, salt and pepper until completely combined.
- Preheat oven to 375F, or heat oil in a deep fryer to 375F.
- Scoop tablespoon-size balls of the rice mixture and gently form into balls, rolling them in the crushed rice cereal to coat.
- If baking: Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place balls on the sheet and spray with more oil. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes.
- If frying: Fry in the deep fryer in small batches until crisp and brown, about 1 minute per batch. Drain on paper towels.