Pizza with Figs, Caramelized Onion, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese
- Yield 8 servings
Figs, considered a symbol of fertility and revered as an aphrodisiac, turn pizza into an alluring palate-pleasing masterpiece.
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- pinch sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) thin pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 4 ounces figs, sliced in thirds
- 2 ounces proscuitto, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, optional
- In small nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and sauté onion, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes until start to turn golden. Add sugar and continue cooking until caramel color. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven 450F. On pizza crust, spread remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and cover with orange marmalade. Arrange cooled onions, figs, prosciutto, goat cheese and mozzarella on crust.
- Sprinkle with rosemary, if desired. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust crisp.
Spicy Advice: Figs are high in fiber and potassium. Can’t find figs, just substitute dates.