Pizza Bianca with Chicken, Caramelized Onions and Fontina
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (12-inch) thin pizza crust
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to wilt, about 10 minutes. Add sugar, lower heat, and continue cooking until onions are soft and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Place pizza crust on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with Fontina and top with chicken and onion mixture. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling. Sprinkle remaining thyme and chives over pizza, and slice into wedges.
—Recipe by Laraine Perri for Relish.com, May 2011.
Want more help? Check out this step-by-step video on caramelizing onions.