Pita Chicken Sandwiches
- Yield 4 servings
- 4 -- broiler-fryer chicken breasts fillets, boneless, skinless (about 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 slices pita bread (8-inch size)
- In non-stick frypan, pour olive oil. Heat about 2 minutes on medium temperature. Add chicken and cook about 6 minutes. Turn chicken, add onion and cook about 6 minutes more until onion is clear and chicken is tender. Remove from heat. Cut chicken into thin slices across grain of breast; place in bowl. Add sauteed onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper, mixing carefully. Add vinegar and chives; mix well.
- In small bowl, mix together yogurt and cucumber. On each piece of pita bread, spread 2 tablespoons yogurt-cucumber sauce. Then place 1/4 of the chicken mixture on pita bread; fold in half, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Repeat for remaining sandwiches. Makes 4 servings of 2 wedges each.
- For picnic, place in ice chest or insulated container until serving time. Cut each sandwich in half to serve.