Pita Bread Salad
- Yield: servings
- 2 pita bread rounds, cut into 1 ½ inch squares
- 2tablespoons plus ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large cucumbers, halved, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 1pint pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 pepperoncini, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Arrange the pita squares evenly on a baking sheet. Bake 5-8 minutes, until crisp and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic and heat for 1 minute, until softened but not browned. Set aside.
- In a serving bowl, toss the cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, mint, parsley, cumin, and lemon juice with the remaining ½ cup of oil. Add the garlic, toasted pita squares, salt, pepper and gently toss with your fingers until mixed. Serve with pepperoncini. Serves 6
Reprinted with permission from Cat Cora’s Classics With a Twist, by Cat Cora (Houghton Mifflin Harcort).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 283
- Fat 23g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 443mg
- Carbohydrate 17g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 3g