Pintos and Rice Burger
- Yield 8 servings
This veggie burger couldn't be simpler. Just mush all the ingredients together and then bake or fry!
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded if desired, and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco or Tapatio)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, for frying (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and knead with your hands.
- Form into 8 patties and cook as desired.
- Pan-fry in plenty of oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden and crispy, or bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 15 minutes on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, then flip and bake for 15 minutes longer, until firm and just beginning to brown.
- Serving suggestions: This patty works in several ways: as a burger, on a toasted bun smothered with guacamole and topped with a few slices of jalapenos; served up with a side of chips and salsa or a grilled ear of corn on the cob; or sandwiched in a flour tortilla and grilled quesadilla style.
–This recipe reprinted with permission from the cookbook The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet by Joni Marie Newman.