Pinto Bean Soup
- Yield 6 servings
This soup is a fix-it-and-forget-it type meal, great for a busy weeknight.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 pound lean ground beef, browned and drained well
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -- (10-ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes
- 1 -- (16-ounce) whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Rinse beans. Cover with water and soak overnight. Early in the morning put beans in a Crock Pot. Add remaining ingredients. Add water, if necessary, so mixture is covered by liquid. Cover, turn on Crock Pot to low and cook 8 hours or longer. The meat can be browned and refrigerated the night before so that everything is ready in the morning. Serve with hot cornbread and a jello salad for a cold night supper.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Tulsa’s Cook’s Collage(Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1978).