- Yield: 6 servings
- 2cups dried navy beans
- 6cups water
- 8-- chicken bouillon cubes
- 2-- onions, coarsely chopped
- 1-- (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1-- (10-ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles
- 2teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2teaspoons oregano
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 4cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- Rinse and sort the beans. Combine the beans and enough water to cover by 1 to 2 inches in a large stockpot. Let soak for 8 to 10 hours; drain.
- Combine the beans, 6 cups water, bouillon cubes, onions, green chiles, tomatoes, cumin, oregano and chili powder in a stockpot. Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Spoon into bowls. May substitute canned beans for dried.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Knoxville’s Dining in the Smoky Mountain Mist (The Junior League of Knoxville, TN., 1995).