Grilled Pineapple-Cilantro Shrimp Skewers
- Yield: 4 servings
Shrimp may also be broiled in a conventional broiler.
- 1pound peeled, deveined large uncooked shrimp
- salt and pepper
- 3/4cup pineapple juice
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4cup packed cilantro, roughly chopped
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place cleaned shrimp in a zipper storage/freezer bag, and pour marinade over shrimp; seal bag and invert bag
a couple of times to coat shrimp.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes (do not marinate any longer than 40 minutes or the acid will “cook” the shrimp and make them rubbery). If using bamboo skewers, soak them in warm water for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Preheat grill to high heat and begin to skewer shrimp. If desired, otherwise use a grill basket. I prefer skewering as they are easier to turn, cook, and serve.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, if desired, about 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper in total—always salt immediately before cooking. You can discard the marinade, or place it in a small saucepan, boil, and reduce it for a delicious dipping sauce.
- Cook shrimp about 5 minutes each side, or until pink (but you can still see some translucency in the middle). Do not overcook.
- Sprinkle more roughly chopped cilantro over shrimp before serving, if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Cupboard To Table Cookbook © 2016 by Judy Hanneman, The Countryman Press.