Pimiento Cheese Spoon Bread
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 65 mins
Two Southern favorites—pimiento cheese and spoon bread—meet in one dish.
Use your favorite store-bought pimiento cheese in this savory spoon bread, a soft, soufflé-like side dish.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons, cornmeal, divided
- 1 1/2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 ounces pimiento cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a 6-cup soufflé dish with cooking spray; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons cornmeal.
- Combine 1/2 cup cornmeal, milk, salt and black pepper in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat until thick, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk egg yolks and pimiento cheese into cornmeal mixture. Pour into a large bowl; cool completely.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into cornmeal mixture. Spoon batter into prepared dish. Bake 1 hour, or until puffy and browned. Serve immediately.