- 1 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4cup chilled shortening
- 4tablespoons (about) ice water
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Mix in butter and shortening with fingers or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal with some larger pieces. Add water and stir with a fork until mixture holds together. Scrape onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a ball. Flatten to a 1-inch thick disk. Wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Roll pastry on lightly floured surface into a rough 15-inch circle. For the blackberry tart, place in pie or tart pan, letting crust extend over edge of pan. For the blueberry pie, place in pie pan, trim edges, fold and crimp.
Recipe by Jean Kressy, Ashburnham, Mass.