- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound button mushrooms, petite if possible
- 1 1/2cups white wine vinegar
- 1 3/4cups water
- 2 1/2tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1pinch dried chili flakes
- 3whole cloves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1pinch salt
- Wash and pat the mushrooms dry. Trim the stems down a bit just to remove the end, save the trimmed stems for making stock.
- In a medium size pan, combine the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil over medium high heat. When boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Lift the mushrooms out of the vinegar solution. Cool the mushrooms and vinegar separately.
- Once cool, divide the mushrooms between 2 (1-pint) jars. Cap and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. They can be eaten in as little as 24 hours but the longer they pickle the more developed their flavor will be.
NOTE: These are great served up with a toothpick for a little bite or used in something bigger like an Antipasto Platter with fresh mozzarella, cured olives, sliced prosciutto and the like.